Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Happy Spring!

The bushes, trees and bulbs are beginning to show signs of life here in our neck of the woods.  




A little catch up...

Our grandson Dylan turned One year old! 


I bought a new Bernina 750 Quilters Edition! 
I love my new machine.  I am so impressed with the technology.  The Bernina 9 hook is pure genius.  The bobbins hold more thread than any other machine I've ever owned.  

I have been working on several different projects from piecing tiny little squares like my Bear Hugs blocks...3" finished with 1/2" sashing strips...

to designing and finishing my Notion Nest which included many different techniques like sewing beads on by machine, working with vinyl, machine applique and binding.  No matter the technique, the thickness of fabric, batting or vinyl my 750 handled all with ease. 

In the fall/winter 2012 TopStitchers Club we created "Notion Nest".  

I finished hand stitching the binding yesterday.  I began by placing a small drop of Roxanne's Glue in the seam allowance.  Then I held the binding in position with the small red clamps until the glue dried.  I removed the clamps and hand stitched all the way around, mitering the corners as I went along.  Roxanne's glue, thimble and needle made hand stitching such a pleasure. 
(No, I don't own any shares...LOL)




I wanted to add beads to the outside of my Notion Nest and decided to stitch clear beads, with the hole up, on top of the printed pins on the background fabric.  The color of the pin heads reflect inside the beads making the printed pins look like colorful glass-head pins.  I love the results.



Below are some pictures of my finished Notion Nest and pin cushion.

I love purple.  I decided to put all the purple notions I could find into my Notion Nest.  On Thursday at Peace Arch Quilters I am attending a hand piecing class with Dianne Senra who will be teaching us the "gentle art" of hand piecingI'm all packed are ready to go.

The Notion Nest Pattern will soon be available for purchase.  If you are interested please email me at littleoakpattern@gmail.com


Free pattern!  
I designed this embellished tote to carry my iPad and accessories inYou can find the pattern and complete instructions in the Web bonuses section under the American Quilter magazine tab at www.americanquilter.com
Happy Stitches,
Shelley 










No comments:

Post a Comment