Monday, November 14, 2011

Time Flies...

October was a busy month filled with lots of fun and work.  It all started out with a knitting retreat on Salt Spring Island.  Brenda and I, along with a wonderful group of women and Mackenzie who is 10, enjoyed a wonderful weekend with talented teacher, designer and knitter Barb Brown who is the author of
Knitting Knee-Highs  Sock Styles from Classic to Contemporary.  
 
The afternoon of our first day included a lecture about Cowichan sweaters and getting to know our fellow students, who by the way, were a lot of fun.  During the lecture we were able to view an abundance of photographs of beautiful Cowichan sweaters.  We even learned how to kill moths.  We broke for dinner then back to the classroom to learn how to Fair Isle knit.
I have to admit that I was definitely the slowest knitter in the class.  There were ladies there that blew me away, they were able to knit faster than the wind and didn't even have to look at their work!  Amazing.
Barb tirelessly led us through several different techniques on how to handle our wool while working with two and three different colours.   The following morning we continued to work on our  project while learning more about Fair Isle knitting than I'll ever remember.

Caroline and her mom, Pat of electrictree Yarns Store hosted the retreat.

Barb Brown is holding Caroline's nearly finished project and instructing us on how to cut steeks... 
Caroline fearlessly cutting the steek...
a cut steek...
 A very happy and proud Caroline with her finished bag. 
We had time between classes so I decided to wind the beautiful wool, hand dyed by Caroline, that I received in my gift bag.  The only place I could attach the swift in the hotel room was to the counter in the bathroom.  Notice that I made sure to put the toilet lid down?
Here's what the wool is becoming...a new pair of Charade's.  I love this wool. I picked up the little notebook for a souvenir of our wonderful trip to Salt Spring Island. 
The night before we left for our retreat I finished the TopStitchers Club fall project, Autumn Splendour.  I will be using my bag for knitting projects on the go.
Back home I spent the day cutting 90 kits in preparation for the TopStitchers Club.  This is only half of them.
 All packed and ready to go.

TopStitchers creating Autumn Splendour at Creative Edge in North Vancouver.
As you may already know we have been teaching classes here inThe Cabin.  Our first class was full of fun, food and learning.  Thank you to my sister-in-law, Elke for the photographs.

Paula, Alen, Lila and Maria were here.
Mary, Pat and Helen were too...
Bernie instructing...
Helen working on new techniques....
 Paula sewing...
 Mary working on her 440 Bernina Quilter's Edition...
Alen stitching too...

 Maria threading her needle...
 A very fun day was had by all.  

We held our very first day retreat here at The Cabin.  This is Alice and me working on Alice's Bali Bag.
 Here's Alice proudly modeling her finished Bali Bag.
Donna and Marina were here creating Autumn Splendour.  These two ladies make heirloom vintage dolls along with their clothing.  They do amazing work.
Anita was here working on her Autumn Splendour.  She also brought a beautiful quilt top ready for quilting... 

Our next all day retreat is scheduled for Wednesday, December 7th, 2011. If you would like to join us for food, fun and finishing your projects please give me a call at (604)506-0241 or email me at littleoakpattern@gmail.com

Several months ago I had the privilege to view Pat and George McAffer's amazing quilt that they made for their grandson.  Here's Pat showing me her quilt...
Here's a picture of the whole quilt...
And a closer view...
I love this quilt.

Happy Stitching.
 




1 comment:

  1. Hey Shells, its Steph. I absolutly love your blog so Im now a follower!!! Yay! I hope I can see you and everybody soon.

    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete