Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lessons

I bought a new camera a few months ago and I'm just learning how to use it.  I spent the better part of yesterday trying to understand aperture, shutter speed, depth of field and more.


When I was 23 I took up quilting.  I struggled on my own with rotary equipment and attempting to sew a straight seam. I soon realized I needed to take a quilting class. I lucked out as one of my first classes was with the very talented Marsha McCloskey.  I bought her book Stars and Stepping Stones.  My first quilt was called "Star Matrix".  After piecing the top I took a class on hand quilting.  That quilt took me 225 hours to quilt. I gave most of my first quilting projects to Mom, Aunt Doris and Grandma.  I recently went home for Mom's 70th birthday and was shown all the projects that I've given them over the years.  Let's just say it was a quite a humbling experience.  I forgot how challenging it was for me to learn how to quilt.

I do remember how difficult it was for me to learn how to knit being that I started knitting only a few years ago. I took several knitting classes and thought I'd never be able to create beautiful, even stitches like those of my very skilled teacher, Brenda Brayfield. She encouraged me to keep practicing and after more classes and more practicing, I'm happy to say I've achieved even tension.  I still struggle with cables and have yet to finish my first sweater but I do knit a pretty fabulous sock. 

Lesson learned...I have a new camera. I want to take nice pictures.  I know there are people out there that I can learn from.  I'm going to enrol in a photography class or 10. Wish me luck.





This little bag is a wonderful project to create while learning machine quilting and how to insert a zipper.  Free pattern available here in a few days.

Happy Sewing

 






No comments:

Post a Comment